FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

New Rifle or keep what I have???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kravguy
2 point

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: New Rifle or keep what I have??? Reply with quote

I could use a little help / advice from some of you gun gurus out there.

Here is what I am debating in my head..... I am thinking of picking up a new rifle. I haven't quite narrowed down the calibers just yet, but I'm thinking something for whitetail / muley / and maybe an elk here or there. Being as I am out East, it would mostly be used for whitetail. So, I was looking towards a .308, .257 weatherby, or something similar. I definitely need to keep this below the thousand dollar mark. Also, keep in mind whatever I shoot out of this needs to be over the counter ammo. I do not have the time w/ 3 kids, 11, 3, and newborn to load my own, nor do I have any of the equipment.

To fund the new rifle purchase I would probably have to sell one I already own. I currently own a 7mm-08 (11 year old sons), 30.06, and 300 RUM. Selling the 7mm-08 is out of the question. I love the gun, and bought it for my son to start hunting with me. The 30.06 is an older gun, was purchased for me when I started hunting. It's in great shape though, and my wife currently shoots it when she goes out with me. Then I have the big mule 300 RUM, which I like as well, but it does pack a whallop, and I am not sure I shoot it enough to be real good with it. Now, I am an archery hunter first, so I don't even pick up a rifle if I have a good year with my bow. But, I do need a good one, because my dad loves to go on trips and refuses to pick up a bow himself, so most hunts with him I am stuck using a rifle. This is what I am debating...

1. Do I just man up, keep what I got and spend more time with the 300?
2. Sell the 300 and purchase something lighter and more shooter friendly?
3. Possibly sell the 300 and 30.06 and spend a little more on something that both the wife and I would shoot?

If it helps to know make and model, all the rifles are Remington 700.
ribo451
Non Typical

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that kicks too much is likely to do more harm than good if you can't shoot it comfortably. Does the 30-06 shoot well? I use an 06 half the time I am rifle hunting and I like it a lot as an all around caliber. It's big enough for everything I hunt around North Idaho. Including moose. It also has ammo that is readily available in every hunting store. Having a gun that you would have to share with the missus could be a problem. Especially if she won't give the gun back when you see a huge buck approaching. Laughing If I were in your shoes I would think about selling the big gun and getting another 30-06 or another caliber that you could shoot comfortably.
Bullelk34
2 point

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a 270 to the mix could be an option, I've shot antelope, whitetails, mulies, elk and moose with mine. I handload premium bullets, but you also buy premium ammo in any store as well.
Another option, maybe buy a 25-06. I bought one for my wife years ago, and I got tired of "borrowing" it from her so I bought one for me too. It's an awesome deer rifle, and my wife has taken elk with hers, too (again, premium bullets). Is your wife similar in height to you? I have to get the stocks shortened on her rifles, but I can still shoot them well if needed.
kravguy
2 point

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies fellas. Bullelk, the wife is actually 2" taller than I @ 6'0". She seems to fit the 30.06 pretty good, so I've never thought about cutting a stock down to fit her. The 270 might be a good add, thanks for the suggestion. Do you have the regular 270?
saddlesore
6 point

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the 300 and get another30-06. You can down load it with some comercial lighter bullet loads or up it to somethimg heavier for elk if that is ever on the menu.

Not hadloadinmg ,you are more apt to find .06 ammo available of on sale than most cartridges.

There are several options on the market in the $400 range.

Can't ever go wromg witha 30-06 . A .270 or 25 06 would do, but since you already have the .06 and your wife shoots it, savings can be had on buying commercial ammo.

There is a reason the 30-06 is the#1 selling cartridge in the US.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj250/vmautino/

Last edited by saddlesore on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Bullelk34
2 point

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a regular 270 win, Remington 700 mountain rifle. I got SO lucky with this one, it's a mountain rifle so it's light weight, and has the trim barrel. But it's also the most accurate rifle I own, it likes 140 grain bullets and shoots under 1" every time and my best 3 shot group with it is .330".
Supermag
4 point

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just make reduced loads for the 300 or buy the managed recoil ammo that Remington makes for it.
huntem
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would never suggest someone not pursue another rifle, I would never underestimate the 7MM-08. Ballistically almost identical to the .308 and more than capable to of killing all but the biggest bears with a proper bullet, sensible shot distance and proper shot location.

As to your original post, the 300 RUM is not for the faint of heart. Having shot out one barrel on my RUM, I would agree with Supermag on purchasing the reduced mag loads. The versatility of -06, 300 win or 300 RUM ballistics in one rifle.

Malloy805
6 point

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta run with everyone that says 30-06. "Criticism of the 30-06 tells me more about your hunting and shooting ability than it does the 30-06" I was told that many moons ago by someone that had killed more game than any of us could hope to.
huntem
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malloy805 wrote:
Gotta run with everyone that says 30-06.

I know the two that I run have never let me down. They don't see a lot of field time as they were my Dad and Grandpa's rifles.

Malloy805
6 point

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntem sums it up here"proper bullet, sensible shot distance and proper shot location " Saddlesore will second it.
saddlesore
6 point

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say where you hunt,but you might look at the other end of the spectrum .

Something in a .243. If it's close in hunting a Marlin 30-30 that you can put a light scope on. Those liitle ones are going to be growing up quicker than you think and you are going to need rifles for them.

Id'seriously look at firearms chambered in cartridges that you are more apt to find on sale.

I have killed elk with a 44mag carbine, 30-30, .308, .06, 7mag and muzzle loaders. Hit in the right place,I have never seen any difference in the way the animal died when comparing one against the other and deer are sure not going to be able to see the difference.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj250/vmautino/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> General Firearms All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: