FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

Tanker Garand, Opinions, please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paladin
2 point

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Tanker Garand, Opinions, please Reply with quote

I have a "tanker" Garand. I have already added a scope. Its still not very accurate. I'd like to have it accurized by a competent gunsmith, beginning with the trigger! What all would you suggest having done? Does any company make a replacement trigger? Or is this a case of having a $1000 worth of gun smithing done to a $500 gun in order to get a $350 rifle? Shocked
huntem
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so we are the same page, you are referring to the shortened version of the M1 correct?

Only a hand full of "factory" test rifles exist today. Of course, there are thousands that were built on parts and many build on factory M1 parts just in a shorter version.

I'm not an expert but there is a good market and interested on the shorter Tanker versions. Depending on many variables, you may have a rifle with some good market value.

GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 03 A3 Springfield that I got in the late 50's thru the NRA and ' modified' cutting down the stock, etc. Wish I 'd left it in the WW1 configuration
paladin
2 point

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Tanker Garand Reply with quote

[quote="huntem"]Just so we are the same page, you are referring to the shortened version of the M1 correct? Only a hand full of "factory" test rifles exist today. Of course, there are thousands that were built on parts and many build on factory M1 parts just in a shorter version. [/quote]

My tanker garand is not one of the factory prototype rifles. It is an collection of parts that was put together by some company. Accuracy is not within mil spec. But it is a lot of fun to shoot.

It did mention to me the other day that it would like to go black bear hunting next fall, but I couldn't promise it anything until it worked on its accuracy. Laughing
paladin
2 point

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GregE"]I have an 03 A3 Springfield that I got in the late 50's thru the NRA and ' modified' cutting down the stock, etc. Wish I 'd left it in the WW1 configuration[/quote]

Not to worry, it is just a collection of parts that some company put together with a shorter barrel and operating rod. All the nice ones are secured in the gun safe.
huntem
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paladin wrote:
GregE wrote:
I have an 03 A3 Springfield that I got in the late 50's thru the NRA and ' modified' cutting down the stock, etc. Wish I 'd left it in the WW1 configuration

Not to worry, it is just a collection of parts that some company put together with a shorter barrel and operating rod. All the nice ones are secured in the gun safe.

From a financial perspective, I think you may end up with more money in the gun than it's market value. However, I think you can get it within acceptable accuracy for a reasonable cost. This is no different than a full custom rifle but it is something that you will use.

Good luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: