FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

Hey Pops, ya' still feeding those bear?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Naumann
6 point

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you like to know? Been there 3 times now. Started with a cruise/tour, then went back twice on our own and rented a car.

Well Pops, sounds like those bear just may be safe for another year. 21 stitches for one poor guy and now Lori has her shoulder screwed up. Going to make an appointment with the ortho to see what's going on. Looks like I'm going to have to be happy with fish and whitetails and pass on the bear meat. Let me know if you ever find that tough young guy! Laughing
Magic
Non Typical

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, it's all good. Wink
POPS
Trail Boss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Hmmmm, I guess the young tough guy aka the bait and bear packer will be taking care of and cooking Salmon and Halibut for his wife? We hope it is nothing serious and wish her the best.
Since my last episode on the mountain when I only got bait half way to the barrel and had to leave it where it fell, we have not been back and I doubt we will for quite a while. I think this years spring bear hunt is Kaput! I doubt I can entertain the photographers/camp tenders/cooks in my present condition. Will give them a call now and explain. There is always next year. Very Happy
POPS
Trail Boss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday a chocolate colored sow and a black cub were having "lunch" (green grasses/alfalfa) in our field behind house. Then they came to the "table scrap" barrel 120 yards from house and had dessert. The sow layed down and the cub chased mice/voles and did some digging, it was fun to watch with binos and spotting scope.
Of course my wife had the camera and she was back on the upper 80 doing squirrel control with her 10-22. So no pictures, I don't know how to post them even if I did.
As usual we have to staple wire back to posts, replace broken posts etc from the elk damage during the winter. Still looking for some help, LOW pay with GREAT benefits.
Magic
Non Typical

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see you stirring about as Spring is warming things up. Thanks for the update on things in your world. Wink
POPS
Trail Boss

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly low pay. Consider a bear over bait hunt will run around $3,000. For less than 30 hours of help it could be looked at as being paid $100 an hour.
David Naumann
6 point

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may need to adopt a kid, I mean HELPER! Spare room downstairs, a sandwich or two a day, maybe even some decent boots to wear while tending the ranch. Tax deductible! An exemption for more tax savings. Sure sounds like it would be cheaper than hiring out any help. Wink I'm thinking all the guys on here are more toward the downhill side of at least 50, so getting anyone to volunteer to swap some honest work for anything would just bring moans and groans about aching backs, sore muscles, etc... Too bad. Beautiful country, and nice color phased bears!

Too bad it was so cold when we swung by this winter. If I remember right, when we left Idaho Falls and headed your way it was 22 below. You would have needed to have one heck of a fire going to thaw out the ground to let me pick a hole through the rocks! Sure was nice to visit with you two for a while!

Sorry, but I'm no help this year. Need to work as much as I can for our trip to England. May have been a mistake to accept the offer to hunt, but it sure will be one of those "trip of a lifetime" things. Roe deer or no Roe deer, a vacation to England driving through the countryside and a side trip to Ireland is something that Lori and I both had never even thought about doing before I got invited over. Hope my hunt turns out better than my past elk hunts!

In the meantime, those bears will just keep on getting bigger. Which means that they will be all that much heavier trying to haul them off the mountain! Shocked
POPS
Trail Boss

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

If anyone can hunt and take care of an animal, they should be able to pick up a strand of downed barbwire, staple it to a wood post, wire it to a steel one, or drive a couple steel posts! A few wood posts were broken or rotted off and will need to be replaced with steel, I have the post driver and posts.

The furnished full basement with private bath, fridge, microwave, and outside entrance is available or the regular bear camp by the creek close to bait site.

A slight uphill pack of bait for a couple hundred yards is the only "real" work of this endeavor.

It could be a vacation, adventure, harvesting a bear, and enjoying nature at its best and be inexpensive too!
POPS
Trail Boss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks of spring bear season left and so far no takers for a bear over bait.
One of our 23cf freezers has been full of precooked bear bait since 2013. It literally took days to make the special concoction and bear love it. It will not spoil and will be good for years, but we need the space in our basement so it has to go. Sad I am too geed up to haul to bait site so if not takers for a hunt I will put it in the front loader and dump 200 yards behind the house where we can watch the bear feed.
POPS
Trail Boss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bait sold to an outfitter.

Those who will take a bear over that bait could have saved thousands of dollars.............
David Naumann
6 point

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, pal. No bear hunting/fence building for me. Would have been more than happy to show up and help, plus shoot for another tasty bear, but our England trip kind of put the brakes on anything like that. Hopefully I can kill a deer over there! At least the bait didn't go to waste. Got some gas money out of it, too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Predator Hunting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: