FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

Illinois Deer 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UntouchableNess
4 point

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a variety of "deer guns" legal for use here. Used to be a shotgun slug or muzzleloader state, but now they've added straight wall cartridges.

Of what I currently own, if I was to pick a gun for deer season, it'd be one of my muzzleloaders. I have confidence in shooting them and having just one shot does not bother me. Making the first one count is always what matters, IMO.

Archery season is just getting started here (well, Oct 1 opener but I've only gone out twice). Trying not to mess up my best sets until the rut kicks in a little better.

Hunter on a neighbor's arrowed a deer last Friday morning, got pics of it bedding in front of one of my cams for a few minutes shortly after the shot. It got up and blood trail was sparse, he didn't find it. Coyotes on the same camera, I think they pushed it.

Good luck in Illinois.
GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Ness-

I rooting for Robert to do well- you too Cool

falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the muzzle-loader is at the gunsmith, it has a burr in the barrel. I bought it used and it must have been put up with some burnt power stuck to that place. Barrel looked good looking through with the breach plug out but I could feel it when I tried to put a bullet down the barrel.

Found some more 20 ga slugs. I have two boxes of the Remington's it is supposed to be sighted in with, two boxes of Federal, five boxes of Winchester and found five boxes of Hornady at a pawn shop/gun store in the next town. Going to the range and find out which groups best. I hope the gun is still on with the Remington's. I have enough to check the sight in and hunt if it is still on. If not I will probably switch to one of the others.

I bet you all will be glad when the drama around this hunt is over!!

Saw 3 does, 3 spikes and a small 4-6 point here yesterday. Nothing to shoot yet.

falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, have you worked out anything on your hunt? UntouchableNess, good luck to you and your seasons. Magic, hope you are well and happy and seeing a lot of deer in MS.
UntouchableNess
4 point

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falconred wrote:

Found some more 20 ga slugs. I have two boxes of the Remington's it is supposed to be sighted in with, two boxes of Federal, five boxes of Winchester and found five boxes of Hornady at a pawn shop/gun store in the next town. Going to the range and find out which groups best. I hope the gun is still on with the Remington's. I have enough to check the sight in and hunt if it is still on. If not I will probably switch to one of the others.

Always liked Winchester Foster style slugs out of my Rem 870 modified choke bird barrel. From doing a lot of pheasant hunting, I was pretty good at "aiming" it. I picked up another scoped 870 with a fully rifled slug barrel to shoot saboted rounds, used it one season. Then pretty much stuck with the ML's.

Season is a little slow here. The corn is still standing and the deer are in it. They peek out 10 minutes before dark. I saw 3 bucks from one stand, had an encounter with a 2 year old at the base of the tree when I climbed down. Broadside at 12 feet, he was upwind. Probably could have drawn when he came through the creek, the locust tree I was in blocked his view. Still a youngin, though, not something I care to tag.

Hunted another property last Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. Newly established clover/alfalfa hay field around a small chunk of timber. I saw 6 bucks Monday am, nothing older than 2. I had hung a trailcam in that timber back in Sept., grabbed the memory card on the way out Sunday evening. A couple of nice bucks on it that might tempt me in a weak moment. One buck stood in front of the camera for 18 minutes as it took 81 pics. What a show off! Laughing

The deer are starting to enter the seek phase of the rut, had one buck run across the city street in front of us on the way to work this morning. South wind forecast for Saturday and Sunday, which will be good to go back to the locust tree stand on the creek bank.

Hope you find what your gun likes so that you have a good trip to Illinois.
GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ness- pictures when you can.... Cool

We're leaving for CO in two weeks- lots of stuff to organize and pack.

To complicate things I got Judy a new scope- Vortex Viper 4-16 HS. Spent some time yesterday sighting in for 200 yards so she can keep the X on hair out to 400. 30-06 180 gr

Got 2 shots within 3 " then had to leave to drive to Son's house for multiple birthday get together. Judy finally caught up to me at 76 Smile

falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ness, I shooting the sabot slugs from rifled barrels and have had great accuracy with my 870 in the past. Hoping for the same with the Savage 220. I am going to the local gun store today and let a buddy check out the Savage, he said that sometimes the front screw gets loose holding the action to the stock and makes them shoot erratic.

I saw the prettiest 6 point Saturday evening but he was a young deer, 2 or 2 1/2 years old. Decided to let him grow. Probably 14" to 15" spread but you could tell he was fairly young. Thought he was never going to leave the pasture at dark so I could leave my blind. Didn't want to educate him but spooking him and the doe that was nearby him.

Supposed to pick up my Muzzle loader today. Hope to go to the range tomorrow or Thursday. The range is tied up with trap shooters on Wed.

I'm headed up on the 17th and meeting the outfitter on the 18th. The lodge is at Pearl, IL 60162 in Pike Co, IL.

Luck to all.

UntouchableNess
4 point

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about the Savage 220's.

And not to hijack your thread, but blame Greg for asking for pics.
Check the date/time stamps on these two pics. Embarassed

This is the buck on the same property that stood in front of the camera for 81 pics.

It's been slow in the stand, think that the big boys have does pushed into hideaways. Been seeing young bucks and fawns (mom off on a date?). The neighbor we hire to custom farm got our corn out Wednesday so I took yesterday afternoon off to do a hunt. Stiff winds of 20-25 mph, which I hoped might die as the sun set, actually though, they picked up a bit. Rolling Eyes The locust tree I was in is big enough that I wasn't swinging in the wind. I figured the wind would probably cut back on deer movement and it did. Last 10-15 minutes of shooting before I saw anything, then it was yearlings. I took a sunset pic from that tree last Monday evening.

It is in a fence row, with alfalfa field to the east, the wetlands to the west, our corn fields are to the south. Our soybeans are the other side of the water, they've been out for a month now. I hope to catch deer moving from the river bottom timber to the north and east to feed in our fields. There were whitecaps on the wetlands last night, LOL.

Going to go after the 14 pointer tomorrow. Forecast says 8 mph west winds, flurries, high of 38. The stand I carried in is down in a creek bottom, so the trees up on the ridge might shield me from the wind a bit.

Things didn't get good for me last year until Nov. 18 and I tagged on Nov. 21. Thinking of taking Thanksgiving week off to spend more time in the tree. Dec. 4 is the start of gun season, so bow will close down until it reopens Dec. 20.

Good luck and I hope you fill your tag in Illinois!
falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UntouchableNess, I need to be hunting with you instead of IL!!!!

Well I am relieved, I hadn't brought it up before but I have been fighting the 20ga for two weeks. It would shoot here and there and I couldn't get a decent group. Used Locdtite on the mounting screws in the stock to receiver, adjusted the screws holding the scope.......nothing helped. Probably spent $200+ on ammo. Change scopes and shortly had a 1.5" to 2" three shot group. Ready for hunting now.

I had about given up but now feel better. I am tying up loose ends at the office for an hour or so and then getting my stuff together for the hunt!!!

I'm still taking my 12GA and muzzleloader just in case!!!!

Leaving next Wed morning so I will get there a day early, meeting the outfitter on Thursday, hunting Fri, Sat and Sun. Headed home on Monday hopefully with a full cooler and a nice rack!!

GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy you got it figured out.

when training my kids "happy arrows hit the target" attitude reminder

falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to get frustrated and think that I was the problem but thankfully we figured it out.

Do any of you wear rubber boots when hunting? The outfitter recommends rubber boots but my feet have grown and my Mucks are now a size too small!! I hate to buy a new pair as I have had these for years and never wore them hunting. I got them for my first western hunt in 2000 or so but never used them.

Trials and tribulations!!!! I'll be glad to get there and get in the woods where all this will go away when the sun rises and I hear my first stick break!!!

Weather looks pretty good:
25 Fri morning....Fri 19 45/33 Partly Cloudy 4% SE 8 mph
Sat 20 52/34 Mostly Cloudy 2% S 9 mph
Sun 21 50/32 Mostly Cloudy 20% WNW 8 mph

UntouchableNess
4 point

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falconred wrote:
Do any of you wear rubber boots when hunting?

Danner Pronghorn is my go to hunting boot, two sets, one 100 gram thinsulate, the other 300. I've never had Mucks.

Hunted Sat and Sun in high wind with temps around 36, spent 18 hours in the tree, didn't see anything I'd care to tag. Think we are in lockdown, planning on starting vacation this Thursday and hunt hard for a week.

Best of luck to you in Illinois.
falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another adventure in the books.

Friday I hunted from a ladder in a narrow stand of timber between some fields, they said that it was not a high activity location but there was a good not typical that was there a lot. I just saw three does.

Saturday morning things changed, I was sitting on a bench getting dressed and bent over to fix my bibs caught on my boot and my hip came out of place. This is my replaced hip. I couldn't get up, down or move very much. They laid me down on the bench to help ease the pain. The Outfitter had a friend that is a Chiropractor and he worked on me long enough to get where I could stand the pain to be helped to the truck to go to the local clinic. They didn't have any luck there so the sent me by ambulance to a larger hospital. They put me out and got it back in place. According to the orthopedist it took several tries. I spent Saturday night at the hospital and got out around 11 Sunday. The outfitter picked me up and drove me to the Lodge. I figured my hunt was over but they took me to an elevated blind and I hunted that evening. The Dr would probably have had a duck if he had known, they were worried about me driving home alone. I saw three does and a real pretty 8 point, not old enough or large enough to shoot though.

I drove in yesterday and got home about midnight. Slept in this morning and am at the office now.

Some times luck is not in your favor but I guess I should be thankful I wasn't up in the 18' ladder stand I was in Friday.

Nice folks there and they sure treated me well. I am thinking about trying again next year!!

Take care!

UntouchableNess
4 point

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear health issues messed with your trip. Good attitude that it could have been worse.

So far, the deer are winning the battle here as well. I haven't encountered anything yet that made me want to punch a tag. Might get in a couple more hunts yet. Left my 2 "hang and hunt" stands in the trees to motivate me to get out again.

Hope everyone is enjoying Thanksgiving with family and friends.
GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was So hoping you'd do well.

Glad you got the hip functioning

falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Orthopedist today and he is putting me on PT for four weeks, three times a week. He said he was glad it hurt and was hard to get back in because that shows it isn't worn and the mussels that hold it in are still strong!!

I have everything figured out except how to put my sock on that side!!!

I guess I will have to go back next year, IL owes me a great big one!!!

I am planning to hunt Friday and Saturday, the prediction calendar says those should be great days!

Hope all are well and happy.

Keep us informed about everyone's season!!

GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sock Tool" Plastic 'half pipe' that you silp the sock over then use the rope to pull it on past the heel to where I can reach it. I bought a couple at Good Will - Medical Supply place will have them

Don't leave home without it

https://www.amazon.com/OPOVE-Sock-Aid-Adjustable-Disability/dp/B094JY2ZLD/ref=asc_df_B094JY2ZLD?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80333187610151&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932714595001&psc=1

falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a sock tool at the med supply place here in town. Thanks.

I have to start PT on Monday to rebuild the muscles around the hip. Dr said he was glad that it hurt so much and was hard to get back into place, that showed the hip and muscles were in good shape!

Soon to be newly trained and ready to fly!!!!! Well may be walk straight anyway!!

falconred
Non Typical

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Illinois but deer.

My deer season in GA ended yesterday, saved money on ammo again this year. I saw a lot of deer but nothing I wanted to take.

Saturday I saw what was probably the best looking deer I have seen on the property I hunt. A great looking six point, probably 18" or so high and 15" inside, all points were on the main beam and no eye guards. Probably 2 or 2 1/2 year old. I chose to let him walk figuring that being the next to last day of the season he might make it until next year. I think he will be a really nice deer, hope he comes by now and then.

He came in with three other bucks, one was another smaller six point, one a small four point and the other a small fork horn. I had eight or more does in the field at the same time. Later I had 15-20 turkeys feed by. This is all in a grass field that is going to be pasture. I wounder what I might see if I baited like so many more do now that it is legal in GA. I just can't bring myself to bait!

I guess I can squirrel hunt until late February and go over to my buddies farm and watch for wild hogs and coyotes.

Hope all are well and happy and having a great season!

UntouchableNess
4 point

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Iowa archery tag expired a half hour after sunset today. Archery season reopened after Second Shotgun, Dec 20, I think. The weather turned really cold and I just wasn't motivated to climb into a tree with the bow.

Dec 20-Jan 10 was also late muzzleloader season, I could have bought a tag for that as well, but again, no motivation. One of the trees I bow hunted out of over a newly established clover/alfalfa field would have been awesome for the ML. I could have covered most of the field with the smokeless ML. Didn't want a taxidermy bill, I guess, LOL.

Hoping the bucks I was after survived for next season. I still have trail cams out to see who survived. Pulled a card last weekend that had a real nice 10 pt trotting around middle of the day. He should have been a 10, but busted out a G3 early in the rut. He went off the list when he did that.

I went into season with the intent to only take something that would be a personal best or somehow special (freak) with the bow. No regrets on the unfilled tag.
GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the updates- nice to read you had opportunities- that's all I ask for.

I still need to write up our CO ELK hunt. I have some hip surgery recovery time for several weeks- no strenuous acivity....... Cool ia am able ot shuffle around using the walker- even loaded the wood fire stove last night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Deer Hunting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: