FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

Eberlestock Blue Widow vs Badlands Sacrifice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Elknuts Elk Camp: Sponsored By Elknut Productions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colockumelk
2 point

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Eberlestock Blue Widow vs Badlands Sacrifice Reply with quote

Any input on this pack. I was thinking really hard on the Badlands Sacrifice but it seems that it's a little bit too light duty and doesn't repel water very well. Those are the two things I don't like about it.

Then I heard about the Blue Widow and it seems like a really nice pack. Does anybody have one and does anybody have input on it. I plan on using it to do 3-4 day bivy hunts and living out of it for that time. It would then be used to haul an elk quarter or a deer half back to the truck. At which time I'd grab my Alaskan Pack frame. So for this in mind is the Blue Widow the choice for me, or should I stick with my original choice of the Badlands Sacrifice. Any input or pros and cons for either?

UWyoHunter
6 point

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know if that is really comparing apples to apples but if you plan on hauling both meat and gear go with the Blue Widow. I really enjoyed mine this past season. One trip I packed out ¾ of a boned deer with camp. On another occasion I packed out two elk quarters with my day essentials.

The design of the Blue Widow puts the meat right next to your back, the compression straps keep the meat up high and the adjustable torso make it possible for the proper fit.
UWyoHunter
6 point

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use a rain cover with my Blue Widow. I guess it is made from waterproof fabric but it will still absorb water in the outer fabric.
gobbler1662
4 point

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great topic. Well I just sold my Sacrifice and just ordered a JP-9 Blue widow. So here is my imput. The Sacrifice is a nice lightweight pack. In my opinion when you put 40 or more pounds in it you are maxed out. The small wire frame tends to dig into your hip area when more weight is added. I just purchased the Eberlestock Blue widow after looking at this pack several times for almost a year. Its light weight great organization and one feature I really like is the adjustable fit, which you don't get with the Badlands Sacrifice. Yes the Eberlestock does weigh a few pounds more, but it will definately handle the weight if needed to haul out Elk hind quarters or a boned out deer. Not trying to take anything away from Badlands on this the sacrifice is a nice pack, but I'm not sure its a good idea to skimp on weight in the pack area.
colockumelk
2 point

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentleman thankyou so much for your input. Both was exactly what I was looking for. UWyoming I was hoping someone would have some input on some in the field experience on the Blue Widow. Thankyou for your honest input. Gobbler I was also looking for some in the field experience for the Sacrifice. So thankyou so much.

Well gentleman I think with both of these inputs I'll definately be getting the Blue Widow. Hopefully this fall I'll have some input of my own on this pack. Thankyou so much again. You saved me alot of time and money.

Scoot
4 point

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another comparison you might want to consider is the Blue Widow to the X-2. My understanding is that a lot of guys who used a Blue Widow two years ago swapped over to an X-2 this past Fall and have been very happy with the switch.

Anyone done this and want to chime in here?
colockumelk
2 point

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the tip scoot. I have also been looking for a day pack as well and that might fit my needs. My current need is to be able to hold more than the x2 offers. So I'll probably stick with the Blue Widow. But I would like to take a closer look at the X2 and compare it to the Blue Widow. I would also like to hear if anyone has tried both these packs out.
Scoot
4 point

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Just for clarification, I wasn't simply offering up a daypack with that suggestion- a lot of guys have loaded up the X-2 with numerous days worth of gear.

Good luck with your pack digging- it's kinda fun, isn't it?
colockumelk
2 point

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the last few days I've been doing alot of research on packs, mummy bags, sleeping pads, backpacker stoves and tents. Never thought an article or reviews on a chunk of foam or nylon would be so exciting Smile
sasquatch
Spike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running The Eberlestock Dragonfly, which is the rifle toting version of the Blue Widow. Since I bought mine 3 of my hunting buddies have picked up the Blue Widow, and all of them think highly of the pack. Two of us have/had Badlands 2200 & 4500, and won't go back. To many zipper and buckle problems. We do a lot of back country hunting trips in the fall, all of which are 3-4 days long. The ability to compress the pack for day use, expand it to get to your base camp, and really open it up to pack out meat has made it my go to pack. We have Eberlestock here in town, so we get to go down and play with packs anytime we want to which is nice. I can say that their commitment to quality is top priority.
The X2 is pretty small for multiday, the X-1 will do multiday though. You put them next to each other and you will realize just how small the X-2 really is.
BobcatJerry
Spike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Badlands 2200 and did not care for it, so I researched and purchased the Blue Widow and love it. The 2200 was hard to access and the gear just got all jumbled up. I have big hands and I couldn't even get my hands in the front main pouch, and you can't reach the side pouches when on your back. I am a pack rat and love the attachments that Eberlestock has. The pack is compartment oriented. I used it to haul all my gear to my spike camp as it expands out, unpacked and it was my day pack, and hopefully game hauler someday. It is a touch heavy, for a day pack, but is worth the extra weight in my opinion, if you get an animal on the ground. I have a long torso and it fit me much better than the Badlands. It was adjustable to my frame. I highly recommend the Blue Widow.
GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of helpful info being shared- that's what makes this place so great!! Cool

It's fun being a part of it and I get to learn too. Wink

colockumelk
2 point

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great now I stumbled upon the mystery ranch crew cab and Longbow.let the research begin.
awbowman
Spike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the X2 based on several reports of multi day hunts with tent and bag strapped outside pack. My feeling is it's worth buying the smaller X2 to use it as a very comfortable daypack, vs. getting bigger and bulkier. The X2 will also handle an elk hind quarter and rations for the pack out no problem. JMO though.

Last edited by awbowman on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELKome to Sage Creek Awbowman. Cool Nice first post- looking forward to others. Wink

What are your plans this year?

awbowman
Spike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregE wrote:
WELKome to Sage Creek Awbowman. Cool Nice first post- looking forward to others. Wink

What are your plans this year?

Southwest Colorado OTC elk hunt in mid-September. About 3 miles in with a Black Widow 2-piece SAG Recurve! Then it's back to the thick bottomland hardwoods of Louisiana where our deer grow old and nocturnal! LOL

Maybe a chance at a Nebraska whitetail hunt also, we'll see if I can get some of this work off my desk.

millerarchery
Spike

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the X2 ast year for my elk hunt and had it packed with 3 days of gear, could have went a couple more, just extra food, i had my sleeping bag, pad and tent strapped to the outside and i dont have any lighweight gear yet. I was very impressed at how much it was able to hold.
awbowman
Spike

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I just ordered the X2 AND a spike duffel bag. The spike duffel is made to zip up in the bigger packs, but I am going to strap it between the "bat wings" of the X2 for the pack in to BASE camp. That will be around 3600 cu. in.. The X2 alone with tent and bag will be brought to a spike camp will I have 2-3 days of stuff in it.

The first trip back to the truck will be with the X2 and what was left inside at spike camp with an elk quarter strapped in. Second trip is the second hind quarter and the rest of my stuff.

The rest will be hauled out by my partner. I am considering purchasing an external frame like the Alaskan or Kelty Hauler for the second trip, but I am not sure I really need it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Elknuts Elk Camp: Sponsored By Elknut Productions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: