FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

Clark Fork Outfitters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Guides and Outfitters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sagecreek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Clark Fork Outfitters Reply with quote

I just talked to Mark Berry, the owner of Clark Fork Outfitters and I might be doing a Mt. Lion hunt with them this winter. He seems like a real nice guy and I look foreword to doing business with him in the future.

Check out his website at http://www.clarkforkoutfitters.com/index.html
or give him a call at 208-266-1910
Scott S
4 point

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott -

How was your hunt or did you wind up not taking it?

I am looking at a possible rifle elk hunt with him and I actually need to call him. I've read several threads about bad outfitters here, and on other forums, and I am one of those who has a fear of being taken. I don't think Mark fits into that category but this will be my first paid hunt out west and I've saved for years to be able to do this. I'm not wealthy and this will truly be the "hunt of a lifetime" for me.

By the way, love the forums!! Sorry that I resurrecting a year old thread.

Scott Spencer
Sagecreek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Scott! I ended up not being able to go, but I've heard nothing but good things about Clark Fork Outfitters. It's on my short list of things too do, maybe next year

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Scott
Scott S
4 point

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Scott.

I swear....picking a state, location, and outfitter is a daunting task!! My wife suggested that I narrow it down to 3 states, and 3 outfitters from each of those states, but that is damn near impossible as well. Very Happy

I'm interested in Montana, Idaho, Colorado, and New Mexico. I have a budget of about $7000 and that has to cover license, tag, and guide/outfitter. I do want the best possible chance at a 320+ bull (realizing that nothing is guaranteed) so I've got to find an outfitter with guaranteed tags and access to an elk herd with 300+ bulls being common. I'm waiting to hear from Tri-State Outfitters in New Mexico as they seem like the type of place I'd like to hunt - small and family run operation.

Do you have any suggestions? I've read reviews on Huntinfo.com but that doesn't really tell me a whole lot. You are in Idaho so surely you can offer up some advice on some outfitters in your neck of the woods. Very Happy Oh, I've ordered one of Elknut's bugle calls so I'm looking forward to learning to use it.

Thank you for the welcome to the forum as well!

Scott
Sagecreek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I really don't know many outfitters up here. Keep looking and I'm sure someone will stick out.

Check with huntem here on the forum. He went bear hunting with an outfitter here in Idaho and was really impressed, and I think they guide for elk too.
Idaho_Elk_Huntr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a freind that used to guide for him. I can get an honest answer from him if you have any ???'s

I would jump in a heart beat for a cat hunt but he will guide you in the same general area that is hunted by many. Mostly National forest. It wont be no ranch hunt.
Idaho_Elk_Huntr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For elk in Idaho I would op for a outfitter down around the Yelowstone area. I think you would stand your best chance of bagging one and would be your best bet for a trophy.
Decoy
PATRIOT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.E.H. is right, we have some great bulls in N. Idaho but when you say"Best chance for 320 bull "I would really look at other areas. Also you could save a bunch of $$ DIY cause they are hunting N.F. land. Go on the IFG site and look at hunt planner and the stats for all the different areas.
Scott S
4 point

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys!! More realistic desires would be for a 290-300+ bull because I do realize that 320+ are rare for even the most experienced elk hunters.

Again, thank you for the advice and suggestions.

Scott
Oldguy
2 point

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hunted Elk with Clark Fork in 2006. They have a good well run set-up.
And Mark will treat you right. I had to pretty much hunt close to the roads, as my walking isn't what it used to be! But they tried hard to find me an Elk.

Good guides, food and facilities. I took my wife and did a little sight seeing along the way up/back. I made a slide show that shows some of Clark Fork facilities, guides and general area, along with sight seeing stuff the wife & I did. We had a private house (probably because my wife was along) but they also have a bunk house. The try very hard to please everyone. You are welcome to view my slide show at the address below.
You will have to get into it about 4 minutes before you get to Clark Fork.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?alb=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Guides and Outfitters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: