FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

Home Brew Game Camera Build Step-by-Step
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Trail Camera Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canyon Runner
Non Typical

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to set the flash gasket in the lid over the two holes drilled for the camera lense and flash, it will probably need to be trimmed, trim a little bit at a time both in width and height refitting each time to be sure that you can locate the gasket around the holes, then peel the cover off of the adhesive and attach firmly into the lid.

Set the camera into place, turn it on if you have an extending lens (s600 and others), and look to see if there is still room between the lens and the flash gasket, if so, cut a piece of foam to fit behind the camera, and check again. If there is still a gap, cut another piece. The point is to get a tight fit to keep the camera from moving in the box and to stop flash bleed. If you have space on one side of the camera or the other, cut foam to make a tight fit, but check to make sure the lense is centered on the hole cut through the lid.

Should look something like this:
Canyon Runner
Non Typical

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're almost finished. Before you put your camera in the woods, let's think about thieves. Yup, they're everywhere, and when you think about it, even if you put a chain around the camera, someone with determination can still bring in bolt cutters, or even cut down the dang tree and just slide it off, it sucks, but it's the way it is. Your best option, is to make it so no one ever sees it, i.e., camoflage baby.

Way back when you could have purchased a camo case, they come in most patterns you might wear during hunting nowadays. But there are some cheaper options that are pretty cool also.

I chose to try to imitate some of the tree bark, grass colors and shadows in my hunting area. I purchased flat spray paint in primer grey, brown, and tan, and taped off the glass lenses and fresnal lens. I cut a small branch from our cedar tree, and cut that down into even smaller pieces. First I sprayed a grey base coat over the entire thing. Then I layed a half dozen of the pine "boughs" over the case and sprayed a light coat of tan. Then I sprayed a medium coat of the brown and let dry. Turn it over and do it all again.

Here are a few pics of the case by itself, then in front of our willow and cedar tree. I think in the thick shadows of the big woods it will blend in nicely...

Last edited by Canyon Runner on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Canyon Runner
Non Typical

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a couple pics of the finished cam.

I have about 43' of sensing range at 65 degrees with the SSS set on medium sensitivity. Your range will increase the colder it gets and decrease the closer to body temp it gets as well. You can change sensitivity from low to med to high to very high. From the camera to the front of the willow tree is about 40', and I'm against the fence at 60'.

Flash range depends on the camera, but with the s600 I am getting 60' plus.

I am running a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo 2GB which will give me approximately 680 pics on highest resolutio setting.

I have the SSS board set to run 24 hours a day. When the camera senses motion during the day, it is set to turn on and take three pics in a row and then turn off for 10 seconds. At night, it will do the same except turn off after the third pic for 20 seconds.

The 9V battery running the SSS should last for 8-10 months.

The AA eneloop batteries running the camera should be good for 200-400 pics, depending on the number of night time flash pics.

The D-cells charging the eneloops should triple that number and allow for the camera to completely max out the memory card. I will hopefully get to swap out cards and batteries before that happens, depending on my work schedule. This time of year I will be in my stomping grounds once a month, in the off season maybe once every two months.

So there you have it. I will be going up next weekend to do some scouting and call in some bulls, and will set the camera then. Muzzy deer season starts October 4, so I will swap cards then and hopefully post some pics here a week later. Stay tuned.

- CR

Canyon Runner
Non Typical

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a honey hole of a wallow, surrounded by bear scat, deer tracks and coyotes, set the camera 20' off the wallow and watching two intersecting trails behind it, hope I get one big bull, everything else will be a bonus...
WindedBowhunter
4 point

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canyon Runner,

Now that the camera has had some field use, what are you likes and dislikes?

What would you do differently on your next build?

Do you have a number for Whitetail Supply & Feed, LLC?

Thanks,
Rudy

Black Gold FlashPoint RedZone
Carbon Tech Whitetail XP
FUSE Ventera
Trophy Taker Xtreme FC Angled Slot
B-Stinger 8" - 11oz
Scott Archery Wildcat
Canyon Runner
Non Typical

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WS&F LLC 732-290-0503

http://www.whitetailsupply.com/

Dislikes: honestly, none. I am very happy with it.

Likes: Excellent battery life, ease of programming, and clarity of the pics, the sample below is blown up 400%, hard to beat the clarity of the s600.

- CR

CheyenneElk
2 point

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this...it does look interesting even for someone who is all thumbs like me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Trail Camera Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: