FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

Fire Poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you make fire in the woods?
Matches
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Lighter
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Fire Steel
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Combination
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 22

pipedreams
Jr. Grizzled SOB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Fire Poll Reply with quote

How do you make fire in the woods? I carry all three, as well as cottonball/Vasoline tinder and fatwood.

todd
Tom Rose
"Have Fun Guy"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry two waterproof match safes and flint and steel.I also carry vaseline soaked cotton balls,can't beat'em on a cold wet day.All my crew carry two forms of fire starter at all times.Up here it's more important than a first aid kit.
WY Outfitter BG#19
P.O. Box 828
Dubois WY 82513
jamesraykenney
Spike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said combination, but what I actually use is and old fashioned Flint and Steel with char-cloth...
NOT a fire-steel(though I do always carry one for emergencies), but a real old fashioned natural flint and a 'U' shaped hardened still bar.
My favorite char-cloth is made from old 100% cotton T-Shirts cut into 1.5 inch squares and burnt(without air) in a container until all that is left is the carbon lattice of the cloth.
You can make your own for free... My first batch was made using just the cloth wrapped in aluminium foil with a pinhole to allow the gasses to escape, held over an open fire...
Tom Rose
"Have Fun Guy"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Ray Kenney
Could you please go into more detail on the making and use of charcloth
I've tryed it but must have done something wrong. I actually carry a modern firesteel with magnesium,I used the wrong nomenclature.A bow drill I can do but flint and steel(the real McCoy) has tried my patience and found it wanting

WY Outfitter BG#19
P.O. Box 828
Dubois WY 82513
jamesraykenney
Spike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Rose wrote:
James Ray Kenney
Could you please go into more detail on the making and use of charcloth
I've tried it but must have done something wrong. I actually carry a modern firesteel with magnesium,I used the wrong nomenclature.A bow drill I can do but flint and steel(the real McCoy) has tried my patience and found it wanting

If you are right handed...
Try holding the flint in your left hand(palm up) with a pieace of charcloth on the left side of the flint, RIGHT along the edge... Hold the steel in you right hand (with the curve down to protect your fingers) and strike down FAST(not hard) the edge of the flint should direct the burning metal(in a real flint and steel, it is the steel that does the sparking) right into the charcloth...

OK, on to making charcloth...

Lets do this the way that I first did it, because it works, is clean, fast, cheap, and simple...

Get old 100% cotton(vital!!!) t-shirt.
Cut about 6 to 10 1.5"x1.5" squares...
Stack them neatly on top of one another.
Set them on a square of aluminium foil about 6"x6".
Fold the foil around the cloth tightly and crimp tightly around the edges...
Take a needle and punch a small hole in the top of the stack, NOT all the way through...
Hold IN open flame... I use kitchen tongs for this...
Smoke will start pouring out of the hole...
Despite some recommendations to the contrary, I prefer to let the smoke ignite...
When smoke plume stops burning, give it another 8 to 15 seconds in the flame and then remove it from the flame...
Do NOT open it yet... In a normal container, you must wait quite some time before opening it, because the heat will cause the charcloth to spontaneously burst into flames as soon as the air hits it... This is not QUITE so important with the foil method(and such a small batch), because, the whole thing will cool off in a minute or two...That is one of the reasons to start out this way... Nearly instant satisfaction! Very Happy
Unwrap, and enjoy!!!

When you get a spark in the charcloth, you will not think much of it...
It will just be a little speck glowing dimly on the cloth...
But, if you blow gently(so as not to blow it away, the stuff is lighter than a feather), it will get very bright and radiate a lot of heat...
The idea, it to put the charcloth in a tender bundle, and blow into that, it will then ignite the fine stuff in the center, which will then ignite the bigger stuff around it, and it will burst into flames... The first time you see it done, you will be surprised at just how fast it goes from nothing into a ball of flame... I am very glad I saw someone do it before I did it, because I would have thought it would just start with a little flame licking out of the top of the tender bundle... It is often anything BUT a little flame!!! Sometimes it even makes a little 'whoosh' sound as it bursts into flame...
You then(QUICKLY) transfer the tender bundle from your hands(by this time, you will not need ANY coaxing to do this!Twisted Evil) to your fire lay...

There you have it...
It is a LOT easier in practice, than describing it...

Last edited by jamesraykenney on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
pipedreams
Jr. Grizzled SOB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great char-cloth tutorial!

todd
jamesraykenney
Spike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipedreams wrote:
Great char-cloth tutorial!

todd

Thanks...

Of course, later you will want to make more at one time, but that works well, and it is QUICK...

Ohhhh... I left something out...
Do this OUTSIDE unless you have a good vent hood...
It puts out a lot of smoke...

If you want a nice SMALL Flint and Steel set, I can recommend the "Travel Size" Flint and Steel
from Midwest native Skills Institute.
I have one, and I carry it every day...
You can be an instant 'hit' with any of your friends kids with the thing...
It comes with some charcloth in the tin...
Their fire making video is also very interesting...
I learned a lot from using their stuff...
And one thing is... Carry a moist wipe to clean your hands after demos of the charcloth... Your hands WILL have black smudges all over them...
Not that it matters out doors, but in someone's house... That is a whole 'nother matter... Very Happy

Last edited by jamesraykenney on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Rose
"Have Fun Guy"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Ray Kenney
Thank you very much for the detailed info.I'll search up that midwest institute.Flint & steel has been on my list of skills to learn but I haven't gotten to it yet.I've forwarded your description to a number of freinds as well.Your gonna be famous in Pyro circles.Confirms my suspicion that Santa is from Texas

WY Outfitter BG#19
P.O. Box 828
Dubois WY 82513
Sagecreek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread Gentlemen!

Scott
AK NIMROD
TOXOPHILITE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually start fires with matches but carry lighters and magnesium and "blaster match"?????think that is the name. cotton balls and vaseline saved our butt 2 seasons ago on a very wet snowy miserable horseback drop off moose hunt. took an hour and almost the full 35 mm film canister of then to dry other stuff enough to get the fire going.
MASTER INSTRUCTOR BOWHUNTER ED.
MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS
jamesraykenney
Spike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Rose wrote:
James Ray Kenney
Thank you very much for the detailed info.I'll search up that midwest institute.Flint & steel has been on my list of skills to learn but I haven't gotten to it yet.I've forwarded your description to a number of freinds as well.Your gonna be famous in Pyro circles.Confirms my suspicion that Santa is from Texas

You are very welcome... I do tend to carry a 'little' too much around with me... Did you see my knife reviews over in the General Knife section???
That knife that I used to cut the tree with...Guess where it is right now...
Siting in my bag on the chair right next to me, here at work... Why??? I have no idea, but I REALLY like it! Shocked There are 4 other knives in the bag with it, along with three flashlights and a micro-lantern, and a fire steel...
And, here is the kicker... That bag is NOT my bug-out-bag... IT, has a LOT more in it...
This DID work out well for me during the hurricane, when I was camped out in my office here on the 10th floor of a over 20 story building...
Some people have started calling me 'The Omega Man'(after the movie), because of my three week stay up here...
After the hurricane, it was fun shining my 10Mil CP spotlight from the 20th floor at other building, and watching others signaling back... Every night a few more were there... It was fun, in a strange way... Like being in a 'Post Apocalyptic' movie... Rolling Eyes
Arginine
Spike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Blastmatch. I've been using petroleum jelly/lint starters and they work well, but I'm going to try charred cloth.
pipedreams
Jr. Grizzled SOB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BlastMatch is a cool tool because it works one-handed. BUT, I prefer the Strike Force. It's less flimsy, but it doesn't work one-handed.

todd
jamesraykenney
Spike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipedreams wrote:
The BlastMatch is a cool tool because it works one-handed. BUT, I prefer the Strike Force. It's less flimsy, but it doesn't work one-handed.

todd

I have both, and I get a LOT more sparks out of the BlastMatch.

I have one in my Bug-Out-Bag, just in case...

Something strange...
I tried to use my Swedish Fire Steel to light a pile of logs that had been covered with lighter fluid, and could not get it to light at all... A match(or it may have been a lighter) lit it INSTANTLY, and we had a ROARING fire in less than one minute...It was so hot that we could not stand near it...
(We were burning chopped up trees from the hurricane)
That was very embarrassing...
oddbow
2 point

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry 3 ways to make fire. MAtches, lighter, flint and steel, I also carry some dryer lint in a ziplock baggie, Man that stuff lights fast.
POPS
Trail Boss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a couple lighters plus strike anywhere kitchen matches that have been dipped in hot wax. The matches are divided into pill containers which are then packed with cotton balls and narrow strips of inner tube which burns hot and easy to light.

Melt wax in a pot, add lots wood chips, mix, use ladle and pour into the bottom part of a paper egg carton. When cool, you can break off a dozen individual fire starters that are waterproof and will burn for several minutes.

POPS
NickW
Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I don't carry this, but have seen it used!

......an small 9volt battery when touched to steel wool! POOF! Flames!!!

For safety purposes, don't carry your steel wool and the uncapped battery together, for if it was in your pack, you may be doing a new Richard Prior impression.

Trevor Armstrong
4 point

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a good old magnesium flare. It will light anything wet or dry! Gotta love the Army surplus I can get my hands on!

"In loving memory of my driver. May he always be in our prayers"

SGT Eric Hull
KIA Baghdad Iraq 18 August 2003
pipedreams
Jr. Grizzled SOB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that in the winter I've take to carrying a flare in my hunting pack. I took an unexpected swim in the creek several years ago and learned the importance of fire in a hurry.

todd
Redd
Tioga Deer Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Firestarting Reply with quote

I always carry, especially in winter, wood matches in a waterproof matchcase, tinder, usually Birch bark, a magnesium/flint firestarter and always carry at least two knives of some sort.
I will definitely incorporate some of the above mentioned items as part of my survival fire-starting kit from now on. Great ideas guys.

Redd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WW
6 point

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always carry matches in a waterproof container and two bic lighters. One of the Bics is sealed in a plastic pouch by using a foodsaver.

Also, wrap the lighter with a small piece of bicycle inner tube. It lights very easy and burns hot even if it is wet. A 2"x2" piece will get almost anything to burn. I read this on another thread somewhere. Sounds good to me.

2rocky
ADDICTED ELK ARCHER/Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any one tried the Army surplus heating tablets? Tri oxo hexane or somethin'?
Sometimes when you think the deck is totally stacked against you and that elk hunting is the stupidest activity on earth, remember that there are thousands of people out there who would love to be miserable like you right now...
Trevor Armstrong
4 point

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Rocky,

Leave them alone!

"In loving memory of my driver. May he always be in our prayers"

SGT Eric Hull
KIA Baghdad Iraq 18 August 2003
2rocky
ADDICTED ELK ARCHER/Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? If I may Ask.....
Sometimes when you think the deck is totally stacked against you and that elk hunting is the stupidest activity on earth, remember that there are thousands of people out there who would love to be miserable like you right now...
jamesraykenney
Spike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2rocky wrote:
Why? If I may Ask.....

They are somewhat toxic... I have a case of them here though...
I thought I was buying a box for a good price and got a CASE!!!
They work well, but you do not want to handle them and then eat...
If you are careful you can open the foil package without really touching them though...
They burn well, but you also would not want to directly breath the fumes...
But in a survival situation... I am sorry but I would use whatever I could to get a fire started... Wood alcohol, benzine, or whatever I could find that would burn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Archived threads All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: