FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Check PMsCheck PMs   Log inLog in 

How do carry a bow on your horse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Backcountry Riding and Packing: Sponsored by www.skinnymoose.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlebrotherC
Spike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: How do carry a bow on your horse Reply with quote

When I started bowhunging with my horse I used a Primos sling and carried my bow. I lost all but one of my arrows and as a result couldn't capitalize on a 15 yard opportunity on an elk. I then bought a bow scabbard. This works well but it tends to squish my fletching. Does anyone have any recommendations?
GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with wearing a Primos syle bow sling is When you fall/ get bucked off something is gonna get hurt. Shocked

For years I've used a soft bow case modified to use as a scabbard. For the trip in and out arrows go in a arrow tube. My blazer vanes hold up fine for huting trips.

Last year in MT the outfitter had a full leather bow scabbard that worked well. The additional stiffness gives added protection- but not sure itwas worth the additional $$.

Here's my buddy's set up

saddlesore
6 point

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with the bow case as shown in the above post is it is under your foot.No control of the horse. Probably great for a horse that never does anything bad, but bad thngs can and do happen and happen fast. If that horse jumps a log,or falls or? the bow is going to get destroyed. I won't even get into what could happen to the hunter's leg. You could be riding along a perfectly safe trail and the horse steps over some bees. Two stings and two jumps and you are in the middle of a rodeo.

IMO.there is no way to safely carry a bow on a saddle horse. I'd suggest putting it in a hard case, or at least a stiifer leather one and put it on a pack horse.

Same with any type of back pack except the smallest day pack.I'd even not put the bed roll on the back of the saddle as shown in Greg's photo. Even the most skilled rider at times has to do things in a hurry and having something that will hang your leg up or impede your movement is an injuty waiting to happen.

I have been riding and using horses and mules for 50 years. and have used them for hunting for 40 years or so. If something bad has happened ,I have probably seen it. Years ago I did some outfitting and packed hunters in. They always wanted to carry extra stuff on thier mounts and I had hard time convincing them not to. Any outfitter worth his salt ought to be able to drag an extra pack horse along during the day to pack your bow, lunches and any other extraneous gear. I pony an extra mule with me every day I am out hunting.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj250/vmautino/
GregE
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points SS. I don't have a picture of the preferred location where the case is behind the leg and angled up toward the blue pack. I did bend a rest prong on the first ride in in '98 mounted like the picture.

To complicate things these are Sombrero rental horses and it's always potluck on how good they are. A couple riding horses and one (2 max) packers so loading is pretty spartan.

2rocky
ADDICTED ELK ARCHER/Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately there is no EASY way to mount a bow scabbard. I ended up using baling twine from the left Rear Cinch ring to attach to the top of my scabbard, in order to get it high enough.

It does present a problem leading a pack horse since your lead rope gets into your arrows.

You will see in the pictures the bow scabbard still is in your foot area. If you move it up/back your leg hits it whle mounting.

After 7 days, these pics show how we finally decided to have them mounted.

Sometimes when you think the deck is totally stacked against you and that elk hunting is the stupidest activity on earth, remember that there are thousands of people out there who would love to be miserable like you right now...
littlebrotherC
Spike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some great responses and pics. Thank You. I'm just using the outfitters supply scabbard. I just purchased my own heavy duty sewing machine and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to improve on the designs out there?
Gabe
Spike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem. I used a Primos sling last year and ended up breaking my sight. I like to ride and bugel, got some good response last year, and that means I have to have the bow handy.

No good solutions but I'll probably stick to fairly open trails and forgo the bushwacking when I'm hunting this way in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sage Creek Forums Index -> Backcountry Riding and Packing: Sponsored by www.skinnymoose.com All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: